Wednesday, July 08, 2009

How to do a live television interview?



There are several components to consider when you are about to have a live television interview, at least for me.

Number One: What do you wear for a live television interview?

I am not sure. I still have clothes strung about the studio that I brought in and tried on for Joelle to critique. We decided on simple jeans and a black top.

My rule of thumb is stay simple, but make sure you feel great, dare I say, sexy even. I stick to the same rule that I use photographing. Stay away from white and NEVER wear patterns, stripes or branding (this is key unless you have a high paying sponsor).

This was my second or third live television interview, and probably my tenth time on television. It does get easier each time, however I get older and don't feel as cute or bouncy. But each time I go through the same motions, in what now could be called a ritual. I always panic about what clothes to wear and worry that my makeup looks appropriate and not drag-queenesque. I have nothing against drag queens and several friends make ravishing women, however I am 5'4" and a straight female, so if I am looking like a drag queen, it’s not pretty. This time I think I looked OK. But again my general rule of thumb for TV, is makeup will always look darker so don’t load on the dark eye shadows, lipsticks etc. BUT there are the lights, they are brutal and so you should have a good foundation (men and women) because you don’t want to look washed out, and you want to define your eyes, lips etc.

Oh and a word about jewelry. Don’t sparkle like a Christmas tree. You want people to pay attention to your face and your words and, in my case, my book. Not be staring at the diamonds or large pieces of jewelry hanging from your neck.


Number Two: What are the questions and what do you want to talk about?

The interview was about my new book, Portraits of Pregnancy: The Birth of a Mother, and I got to talk about how I got started in all of this. It turns out the producer was pregnant. She was a cute petite blond who was super sweet. This was going to be her second child. Fun! I hope I can photograph her! She came up with some great questions for the host. I was impressed because if the questions aren’t done well then well, you stumble and it can be awkward.

I always get nervous, I mean it is live, so who wouldn't get nervous? If I should accidentally sneeze or pull a Janet Jackson move, that might be bad, then again it might be good. But as the second or third time live in front of a camera, I was relaxed when I got on there and just answered the questions.

Interviewers know this so they sometimes actually send you the questions or ask you what questions they should ask ahead of time. Surprising isn’t it? Well it does kind of take the spontaneity out of it all but there is an element of safety there too. But the truth is, you can’t really memorize the answers, and I always like to speak from the heart because those answers sound better anyway. I never spend a lot of time memorizing. I just like to think, well what did I do? How did I get started? How do I make the pregnant women feel beautiful? And then I pretend I am talking to a new friend about my business and forget about the cameras. It really works. I pretend I am at a party or something and get really interested in talking to them about my stuff.

I remember the first time I was ever on TV, I was living and working in Japan. The interview was in Japanese. Hello. First of all I did speak Japanese but didn’t have the eloquence I thought I needed. The TV station sent the questions, and my friend (Japanese) who was a PR person helped me write out the answers and I literally memorized the Japanese. I do not recommend this style at all. The interview was great, but I was probably very stiff. Flash forward 14 years - I was on a local Seattle TV station. They came to film a shoot at my studio and did an interview. I had no warning of the questions. I just answered them. It was a great interview, straight from the heart and full of passion (you can see it on my website www.jenniferloomis.com). It launched my career, quite literally. I have Tom Bishop at King 5 to thank for that.

Number Three: How to stand or sit and where to look?

Don’t fidget. This seems obvious, but don’t do it. Stand up or sit up tall, don’t lean back in your chair and don’t sway or swing your arms if standing. I tend to talk with my hands which I am told is a little too much motion, but I can’t help it. My hands are well, the tools that hold my camera and a very important part of my self-expression. But I try to limit their activity when I am being interviewed. So be calm and focus on the interviewer. There is the temptation to look at the camera or the monitor which is set up so the interviewer can see what the audience is seeing, in other words what is being broadcast. It is tempting to watch that too. And if the interviewer wants you to be staring into the camera –which is rare – they will tell you.

Mary who interviewed me with KOMO did a great job. We had a great rapport. And better yet, she really liked the book. That is the best part, having something to talk about that you really like. That makes it easier.

Now I am all dressed and with some nice make-up. I am going out with my boyfriend to some friends’ BBQ. They will all comment, I know it. Have a great night!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home